Sunday, September 23, 2007

Nice day

The race at Bedford was the most fun I've had in a race in several years. Even though I didn't place well, I had a ton of fun and felt for the first time in a long time that I was riding somewhere near par. The low humidity made for some really tight races among the classes and I heard a report that the top three in Clydesdale were within a minute or two of each other. The good news for me is that they were only about 20 minutes in front of me after 2 hours of racing. That's only 2 mph or so and I feel that this time next year, with any luck and if my will holds out long enough to get in some winter training time, I'll be averaging 10mph laps again myself. I was riding somewhat conservatively and not taking undo risks. Of course this doesn't win races but I decided that I stand a better chance of climbing back into the ranks if I survive intact and walk stuff I used to ride almost as a challenge to myself by the course designers. The course at Danville is coming along nicely with only a few lumpy fresh cut sections this year and a reasonable distance. It was good to see some of my former competitors and long time riding buddies show up for this one. I actually think Steve is faster now than when he raced me a few years ago in a maddening side by side slug fest up Poor mountain that had us doing the slow crawl for the better part of an hour within a few feet of each other. I paced him for much of the first lap this week before deciding I better shave off a bit more effort in order to have a good second lap. (He really got away but my version sounds better)

After the race some folks may have notice me skipping out during the awards. I STILL had that gift certificate to spend at Bikes unlimited so we headed out a bit early to find the shop. I ended up buying an overpriced All black Live strong Giro Atmos helmet with my winnings to replace my broken Specialized M1. Then I stopped in at Blackwater and of course found an M1 there for 69$. Pfft. I tried the new lid on my road bike today and it fits good and seems to breathe ok.

I'm having software trouble with my digital video importer so I have no pictures at the moment. Hopefully I can get it working before I lose interest.

See you at Poor mountain!
Ray

p.s. ed: it was at Bedford not Danville as posted previous. Danville sucked hot hellish wind.

1 Comments:

At 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Again love to read the story. I am glad you had fun in the race, I cant wait to read about poor Mnt.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home